Citizen’s Satisfaction with the government’s performances is still near to the ground

  • Posted on: 4 June 2015
  • By: mmaffairs

The "Satisfaction with the President's performance" survey was conducted in September and November, 2012 in Both Yangon City and Mandalay City. Total populations of 2250 respondents were interviewed through random selection with "cluster sampling". Most of the the respondents, making up about 55% were male and the remaining 45% were female. In addition to this, a majority of the respondents were aged between 18- 40, around 27% of them were graduates and the rest had passed 10th grade and below. A majority of respondents were wage laborers and only about 18% are white-collar workers.
Looking at the index of satisfaction with the current President, it could be said that people are little satisfied with the President. Especially, respondents from Yangon, who are more satisfied than respondents from Mandalay. Although the satisfaction index was very low, it still showed that people's satisfaction on the president is there to some extent. The index also shows that people who are satisfied with the president have more media access than those who were not satisfied. However, this survey was conducted before the war with KIA began and the result might have changed if we carried out the poll now in the midst of war.

In Contrast to the satisfaction with the president, there was a very low level of satisfaction with his government implementations of development projects, even more popular sectors like "political sector development" obtained little satisfaction like 0.211 and 0.185. Moreover " Performance for health sector development" is the only sector that the people both of Yangon and Mandalay City were dissatisfied with. Only if the index is higher than 0.5, it could be deduced as being "strongly satisfied". Here below is a table of Mandalay and Yangon City's comparison on satisfaction index.

The above graph shows that "performance for political sector development" is the sector that people are most satisfied. The "Health sector development" is the sector that people were least satisfied with, even in Yangon it showed that people were dissatisfied with implementations of health sector development. We can also see that this health issue "To improve primary health care" was the third most requested issue to be discussed in the Hluttaw, according to the result of "priority issues survey". If satisfaction comes from knowledge about implementations, how many citizens have awareness of what the government is really doing, this is related to people's access to media. Even if various kind of media were available in a city like Yangon and Mandalay, whether citizen can afford that media is another matter. In addition to that, what people reads and how much they can absorb is another important consideration. It can affect citizen's satisfaction and opinion on government and its implementations or performances.
It is estimated that 86% of respondents in Yangon have access to at least one of these media sets such as State owned news, Privately owned news, Foreign based news and internet social media. Nevertheless, 68% of respondents in Mandalay have access to media. The remainding 36% in Mandalay have no access to media. And it also showed that internet social media is the third most popular source of news for Yangon respondents.

 

There are some hopes of development to be achieved under this government's implementations. Though it showed under 10% of full confidence, little confidence accounts more according to the data. Nevertheless, "Reducing and eliminating poverty rate" and "Narrowing the gap between the poor and the rich" were mentioned as the issues with the least levels of confidence to be achieved.